With cold and flu season just around the corner, it’s the perfect time for us to share with our readers the Homemade Honey Cough Syrup recipe.
A great addition to any lemonade or oatmeal, this cupboard staple can now be commonly found in families’ medicine cabinets, as well.
The World Health Organization (WHO) recognizes honey as a viable home-remedy option for anything from a minor cough to an upper-respiratory infection.
The sticky, golden substance creates a soothing layer of film that coats the mouth and throat, alleviating the dry, itchy need to cough.
Not only can this miracle substance help you and your children sleep uninterrupted by dizzying coughing fits, research shows that honey is full of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants.
Turns out ingesting honey to soothe cough or a dry mouth may help an illness slowly subside.
Avoid the lines at your local pharmacy and learn how to create your own, natural and delicious cough remedy.
Our simple recipe calls only for these basic ingredients to begin:
- raw honey (1 cup)
- ginger root (1/4 cup)
- water (1 cup)
- two lemons (2 tablespoons)
Raw honey is not pasteurized or meddled with in any way – think of it as buying directly from the beekeeper.
Find raw honey at your local grocery store’s organic aisle or farmer’s market. The earthy ginger and citrus of the lemon further aide in soothing cough as well as add yummy flavor.
Kitchen utensils you will need:
- zester (Tip: if unavailable, cheese graters work)
- medium-sized sauce pan
- mixing spoon (Tip: spray your spoon with olive oil cooking spray; this will help the honey
- from sticking too much)
- measuring cup(s)
- jar to store the finished product in
Here are the 10 steps to make you homemade honey cough syrup
- Pour 1 cup water into your saucepan and bring to a boil.
- While your water is heating, peel the rough skin of the ginger (all of the flavor and benefits are inside!), and then slice the root. You should have enough slices to fill a 1/4-cup.
- Zest the 2 lemons to fill 2 tablespoons (if a little less, that’s fine).
- Add the sliced ginger root and lemon zest to boiling water in saucepan.
- Turn heat down and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain the solution into a bowl and set aside.
- Pour 1 cup of raw honey into saucepan, but do not boil. Low heat only.
- Add the ginger lemon water into the simmering honey, mixing slowly. If any juice left in lemons from earlier, feel free to squeeze generously, minding the seeds.
- Keep on low heat and stir routinely until a desired texture is reached.
- Let cool and pour cough syrup into container.
Dosage and Storage:
- For toddlers, 1 to 5 years of age: 1/2 to 1 teaspoon every two hours
- For children, 5-12 years of age: 1 to 2 teaspoons every two hours
- For children 12+ and adults: 1 to 2 teaspoons every four hours
And good news!
Because honey is a natural preservative, your couch syrup should have a 2-3 month shelf life, if not longer.
Keep the remedy covered and refrigerated.
1. Ventilated Suit – https://amzn.to/2D1hJBu
(NEW) Ventilated Jacket – https://amzn.to/2Av6piJ
2. Beekeeper YKK Suit Combo – https://amzn.to/2Xk3xLz
3. Beekeeper Journal – https://bit.ly/3xXxFl2
4. YKK Suit – https://amzn.to/2IDJALO
5. Beekeeper Jacket – https://amzn.to/2FirwTW
6. Beekeeping Gloves:
– Goatskin Beekeeping Gloves – https://amzn.to/2GYxBZW
– Cow Leather Beekeeping Gloves – https://amzn.to/2uiSExd
7. Queen Marking Kit – https://amzn.to/2Wm1kCw
– Queen Marking Pens – https://amzn.to/3c4vE8y
–Queen Marking Cage – https://amzn.to/2TDwwdQ