The bees usually keep a stock of honey in their colonies for them to consume during the winter days. However, due to some circumstances, bees often face a lacking food supply during winter. This is why some beekeepers feel the need of feeding bees in winter.
What to Feed the Honeybees During Winter
– Winter Patties are a good food choice for feeding bees in winter. It’s like patties that are smeared across a wax paper and fed to the bees. The label also says that it has added nutrients to help with the bees’ honey production when spring comes.
– Sugar Blocks are the easiest to make at home. This can be made by mixing a cup of water and a pound of granulated sugar on a hot pan. The only downside to this option is that it can get messy and doesn’t have any additional supplements to help the bees.
– Granulated Sugar are also a great food when feeding bees in winter. You can sprinkles some of it on top of your bee hive’s inner frames. The advantage of this is that if you have no time to prepare pre-mixed bee food, you can just sprinkle some of it on the top of the bee hives.
– Fondant is a cooked sugar that has thickened and turned into solid. This is another great choice if you have a lot of free time on your hands to prepare.
Experts strongly discourage feeding the bees with syrup during winter. One reason for this is because there are relatively a lot of water in the syrup and it the bees can lose more energy spending time to remove the water from the syrup thus producing less honey.
1. Ventilated Suit – https://amzn.to/2D1hJBu
(NEW) Ventilated Jacket – https://amzn.to/2Av6piJ
2. Beekeeper YKK Suit Combo – https://amzn.to/2Xk3xLz
3. Beekeeper Journal – https://bit.ly/3xXxFl2
4. YKK Suit – https://amzn.to/2IDJALO
5. Beekeeper Jacket – https://amzn.to/2FirwTW
6. Beekeeping Gloves:
– Goatskin Beekeeping Gloves – https://amzn.to/2GYxBZW
– Cow Leather Beekeeping Gloves – https://amzn.to/2uiSExd
7. Queen Marking Kit – https://amzn.to/2Wm1kCw
– Queen Marking Pens – https://amzn.to/3c4vE8y
–Queen Marking Cage – https://amzn.to/2TDwwdQ