One-Handed Queen Marking Kit
& Bee Family Car Stickers
by Buzz Beekeeping Supplies
- ONE-HANDED QUEEN MARKING CAGE – Our professional queen marking cage includes a one-handed plunger with a soft sponge to enable you to gently guide your queen bee into position for marking. The cage has a honeycomb at the top, so that may mark your queen easily.
- QUEEN BEE MARKING PENS – Our Queen bee marking kit includes POSCA Medium Tip Markers from Japan – All 5 standard colors for Beekeepers – Green, Blue, Yellow, White and Red. This model (PC5M) is the correct size for marking queen honey bees.
- SAFE AND NON-TOXIC FOR BEES – POSCA markers are water-based and safe for your queen bees.
- EASY TO APPLY – Our markers are easy to use for marking your queens. The vibrant colors will make it easy for you to locate your queen in the hive.
- BEE FAMILY CAR STICKERS – High-Quality 3M Vinyl Stickers – UV and Water Resistant
It is standard practice for beekeepers to mark the queen with a small spot of paint on her thorax (back). The color code below is used to indicate the year in which the queen was introduced to the colony.
International Queen Bee Marking Colors:
- Years ending in 1 or 6 – White
- Years ending in 2 or 7 – Yellow
- Years ending in 3 or 8 – Red
- Years ending in 4 or 9 – Green
- Years ending in 5 or 0 – Blue
Directions: The marking pens must be primed before use. To prime a marking pen, simply press the tip of the pen down on a nearby surface (scrap paper or cardboard) to get the tip wet. Then daub the tip on a test surface to see how much paint will be applied. Next, simply put the queen in a marking tube or cage and gently move the plunger. Apply a small drop to her back (thorax). Give a few minutes to dry, and introduce the queen back to the colony.
Caution: DO NOT apply too much paint on the queen bee – you may drown her.